1. to behave in a certain manner
Example : Stop acting like a dunce.
2. a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
Example : The troupe did their act three times every evening.
3. something that people do or cause to happen 4. to behave unnaturally or affectedly
Example : You're just acting.
5. a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body 6. to pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
Example : We acted the idiot.
7. to play a role or part
Example : I am acting in the play all week.
8. to perform on a stage or theater
Example : We act in this play.
9. to perform an action
Example : I acted out last night's events.
10. to have an effect or outcome
Example : The alarm system acts as a theft deterrent.
11. a subdivision of a play or opera or ballet 12. a manifestation of insincerity
Example : They put on quite an act for your benefit.
13. to discharge one's duties
Example : They acted as the chair for the duration of the meeting.
14. to be suitable for theatrical performance
Example : This scene acts well.
Translation for "act"
act meaning in Spanish : acto act meaning in German : Handlung act meaning in Japanese : 行為 act meaning in Turkish : davranmak act meaning in Chinese : 法案 act meaning in Arabic : فعل act meaning in Polish : działać act meaning in Hindi : अधिनियम act meaning in French : acte act meaning in Russian : акт act meaning in Tamil : நாடகம் act meaning in Telugu : చట్టం