1. to put into dramatic form
Example : I adopted a book for a screenplay and sold it to a major studio.
2. to take into one's family
Example : They adopted two children.
3. to take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
Example : I adopted aspects of the styles I researched.
4. to take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own
Example : I quickly adopted a similar way of making sandwiches.
5. to take up and practice as one's own
Example : I adopted their mannerisms.
6. to choose and follow
Example : We adopted the new rules yesterday; you can't expect us to have memorized them by today!
7. to take on titles, offices, duties, or responsibilities
Example : I adopted the role of a manager and got a pay raise.
Translation for "adopt"
adopt meaning in Spanish : adoptar adopt meaning in German : adoptieren adopt meaning in Japanese : 採用 adopt meaning in Turkish : benimsemek adopt meaning in Chinese : 采用 adopt meaning in Arabic : تبنى adopt meaning in Polish : przyjąć adopt meaning in Hindi : अपनाना adopt meaning in French : adopter adopt meaning in Russian : принять adopt meaning in Tamil : தத்தெடுக்க adopt meaning in Telugu : దత్తత