1. to seize and take control without authority and possibly with force
Example : I assumed control of the company.
2. to take on titles, offices, duties, or responsibilities
Example : When will the new President assume office?
3. to take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
Example : The angel assumed the shape of a lion.
4. to take to be the case or to be true
Example : I can only assume what you are saying is true, as I was not there.
5. to make a pretence of
Example : The athlete assumed indifference, even though they were seething with anger.
6. to occupy or take on
Example : The yogi assumed the lotus position.
7. to take up someone's soul into heaven
Example : This is the day when May was assumed into heaven.
Translation for "assume"
assume meaning in Spanish : asumir assume meaning in German : annehmen assume meaning in Japanese : 仮定する assume meaning in Turkish : üstlenmek assume meaning in Chinese : 假设 assume meaning in Arabic : افترض assume meaning in Polish : założyć assume meaning in Hindi : मान लीजिये assume meaning in French : assumer assume meaning in Russian : предполагать assume meaning in Tamil : கருதுவது assume meaning in Telugu : ఊహించుకోవటం