1. lacking special distinction, rank, or status 2. around the middle of a scale of evaluation
Example : an orange of average size
3. approximating the statistical norm or average or expected value
Example : the average income in New England is below that of the nation
4. relating to or constituting the middle value of an ordered set of values (or the average of the middle two in a set with an even number of values) 5. relating to or constituting the most frequent value in a distribution 6. lacking exceptional quality or ability
Example : a novel of average merit
7. a statistic describing the location of a distribution 8. to compute the average of
Example : I averaged all the numbers and it looks like we are in the black this month.
9. to amount to or come to an average, without loss or gain
Example : The number of hours I work per work averages out to 40.
10. an intermediate scale value regarded as normal or usual
Example : I am about average in height.
11. (sports) the ratio of successful performances to opportunities 12. to achieve or reach on average
Example : I averaged a C on my last report card.
Translation for "average"
average meaning in Spanish : promedio average meaning in German : durchschnittlich average meaning in Japanese : 平均 average meaning in Turkish : ortalama average meaning in Chinese : 平均 average meaning in Arabic : معدل average meaning in Polish : średni average meaning in Hindi : औसत average meaning in French : moyenne average meaning in Russian : средний average meaning in Tamil : சராசரி average meaning in Telugu : సగటు