1. (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear 2. the state of the environment in which a situation exists 3. to understate the importance or quality of
Example : I unintentionally backgrounded the old data in my presentation.
4. scenery hung at back of stage 5. information that is essential to understanding a situation or problem
Example : The embassy filled them in on the background of the incident.
6. the part of a scene or picture ,that lies behind objects in the foreground
Example : We posed them against a background of rolling hills.
7. extraneous signals that can be confused with the phenomenon to be observed or measured
Example : they got a bad connection and could hardly hear one another over the background signals
8. a person's social heritage: previous experience or training
Example : They are a lawyer with a sports background.
9. relatively unimportant or inconspicuous accompanying situation
Example : When the rain came we could hear the sound of thunder in the background.
Translation for "background"
background meaning in Spanish : fondo background meaning in German : Hintergrund background meaning in Japanese : バックグラウンド background meaning in Turkish : arka fon background meaning in Chinese : 背景 background meaning in Arabic : خلفية background meaning in Polish : tło background meaning in Hindi : पृष्ठभूमि background meaning in French : Contexte background meaning in Russian : фон background meaning in Tamil : பின்னணி background meaning in Telugu : నేపథ్య