1. to prevent from entering
Example : We'll have to bar you from school until next week.
2. a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter
Example : We're headed to the bar to meet friends.
3. a narrow marking of a different color or texture from the background
Example : a green toad with small black stripes or bars
4. the body of individuals qualified to practice law in a particular jurisdiction
Example : I was admitted to the bar in New Jersey.
5. to expel, as if by official decree
Example : I barred them from entering the restaurant permanently.
6. a block of solid substance (such as soap or wax)
Example : a bar of chocolate
7. musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats
Example : the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song
8. to render unsuitable for passage
Example : The construction work barred the hallway, so we went around it.
9. the act of preventing
Example : there was no bar against leaving
10. a horizontal rod that serves as a support for gymnasts as they perform exercises 11. a submerged (or partly submerged) ridge in a river or along a shore
Example : the boat ran aground on a submerged bar in the river
12. (meteorology) a unit of pressure equal to a million dynes per square centimeter
Example : unfortunately some writers have used bar for one dyne per square centimeter
13. to secure with, or as if with, bars
Example : I barred the door.
14. a rigid piece of metal or wood 15. an obstruction placed at the top of a goal
Example : It was an excellent kick but the ball hit the bar.
16. a counter where you can obtain food or drink
Example : I bought a hot dog and a coke at the bar.
17. (law) a railing that encloses the part of the courtroom where the judges and lawyers sit and the case is tried
Example : spectators were not allowed past the bar
18. a heating element in an electric fire
Example : an electric fire with three bars
Translation for "bar"
bar meaning in Spanish : bar bar meaning in German : Bar bar meaning in Japanese : バー bar meaning in Turkish : bar bar meaning in Chinese : 酒吧 bar meaning in Arabic : شريط bar meaning in Polish : bar bar meaning in Hindi : बार bar meaning in French : bar bar meaning in Russian : бар bar meaning in Tamil : பட்டியில் bar meaning in Telugu : బార్