1. to be a mystery or bewildering to
Example : The magic trick beats me!
get , pose , stick , baffle , puzzle , gravel , stupefy , perplex , mystify , vex , bewilder , flummox , nonplus , amaze , dumbfound 2. to come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
Example : We beat everyone we played in the tennis doubles championship.
3. to beat through cleverness and wit
Example : I beat the traffic by taking a shortcut.
4. to wear out completely
Example : I beat that car.
5. the rhythmic contraction and expansion of the arteries with each heart cycle
Example : I could feel the beat of your heart.
6. the basic rhythmic unit in a piece of music 7. to give a beating to
Example : The attacker beat me when I refused to hand over my wallet.
8. to move with or as if with a regular alternating motion
Example : Just beat to the music, yo!
9. to move rhythmically
Example : My heart was beating fast.
10. to make a rhythmic sound
Example : I beat the drum to the rhythm of my favorite song.
12. (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse 13. a regular route for a sentry or policeman
Example : In the old days, a policeman walked a beat and knew all of the names of the folks in the neighborhood.
14. a member of the beat generation 15. to stir vigorously
Example : I beat the egg whites.
16. to avoid paying
Example : The criminal jumped over the turnstiles in order to beat the subway fare.
17. the act of beating to windward 18. a stroke or blow
Example : the signal was two beats on the steam pipe
19. a regular rate of repetition
Example : the cox raised the beat
20. the sound of stroke or blow
Example : I heard the beat of a drum.
21. a single pulsation of an oscillation produced by adding two waves of different frequencies 22. to hit repeatedly
Example : They beat on the door.
23. to strike a part of one's own body repeatedly, as in great emotion or in accompaniment to music
Example : I beat my breast in anger.
24. to shape by beating
Example : The blacksmith beat the steel into the ornamenta shapes for the fence.
25. to make by pounding or trampling
Example : They deer beat a path through the forest.
26. to sail with much tacking or with difficulty
Example : The boat beat in the strong wind.
27. to glare or strike with great intensity
Example : The sun was beating down on us.
28. to be superior
Example : Reading beats watching television.
Translation for "beat"
beat meaning in Spanish : golpear beat meaning in German : schlagen beat meaning in Japanese : ビート beat meaning in Turkish : dövmek beat meaning in Chinese : 击败 beat meaning in Arabic : تغلب beat meaning in Polish : bić beat meaning in Hindi : हराना beat meaning in French : battre beat meaning in Russian : бить beat meaning in Tamil : அடிக்க beat meaning in Telugu : ఓడించింది