1. single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
Example : slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach
2. a stratum of ore or coal thick enough to be mined with profit
Example : The company stripped the top of the mountain off to expose coal beds.
3. a depression forming the ground under a body of water
Example : They searched for treasure on the ocean bed.
4. to have sexual intercourse with
Example : I bedded them after dinner.
5. a piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep
Example : They sat on the edge of the bed.
6. a plot of ground in which plants are growing
Example : the gardener planted a bed of roses
7. a foundation of earth or rock supporting a road or railroad track
Example : the track bed had washed away
8. the flat surface of a printing press on which the type form is laid in the last stage of producing a newspaper or magazine or book etc. 9. (geology) a stratum of rock (especially sedimentary rock)
Example : they found a bed of sandstone
10. to put to bed
Example : The children were bedded at ten o'clock.
11. to place plants in a prepared bed of soil
Example : I spent last Saturday bedding flowers.
12. to furnish with a bed
Example : The inn keeper could bed all the new arrivals.
Translation for "bed"
bed meaning in Spanish : cama bed meaning in German : Bett bed meaning in Japanese : ベッド bed meaning in Turkish : yatak bed meaning in Chinese : 床 bed meaning in Arabic : السرير bed meaning in Polish : łóżko bed meaning in Hindi : बिस्तर bed meaning in French : lit bed meaning in Russian : постель bed meaning in Tamil : படுக்கையில் bed meaning in Telugu : మం చం