1. to set in motion, cause to start
Example : Let us begin before it gets too late.
2. to take the first step or steps in carrying out an action
Example : They have begun their residency in orthopedics.
3. to start an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object
Example : Do we have enough time to begin a cigar?
4. to have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense
Example : The race begins right over the hill.
5. to have a beginning characterized in some specified way
Example : The novel begins with a murder.
6. to achieve or accomplish in the least degree, usually used in the negative
Example : This economic measure doesn't even begin to deal with the problem of inflation.
7. to be the first item or point, constitute the beginning or start, come first in a series
Example : The number 'one' begins the sequence.
Translation for "begin"
begin meaning in Spanish : empezar begin meaning in German : Start begin meaning in Japanese : ベギン begin meaning in Turkish : başla begin meaning in Chinese : 开始 begin meaning in Arabic : ابدأ begin meaning in Polish : zaczynać begin meaning in Hindi : शुरू begin meaning in French : commencer begin meaning in Russian : начать begin meaning in Tamil : தொடங்கும் begin meaning in Telugu : ప్రారంభం