1. to improve or make something better
Example : Their ideas for bettering the work conditions were well received.
3. to get better
Example : I bettered over time.
4. from a position of superiority or authority 5. (comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable 6. comparative of `well'
Example : in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.
7. (comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability 8. changed for the better in health or fitness
Example : Their health is better now.
9. more than half
Example : argued for the better part of an hour
10. something superior in quality or condition or effect
Example : a change for the better
11. the superior one of two alternatives
Example : chose the better of the two
12. a superior person having claim to precedence
Example : I was kept in my place by my betters.
13. to surpass in excellence
Example : They bettered their own record.
Translation for "better"
better meaning in Spanish : mejor better meaning in German : besser better meaning in Japanese : より良い better meaning in Turkish : daha iyi better meaning in Chinese : 更好 better meaning in Arabic : أفضل better meaning in Polish : lepszy better meaning in Hindi : बेहतर better meaning in French : meilleur better meaning in Russian : лучше better meaning in Tamil : சிறந்த better meaning in Telugu : మంచి