1. deserving or bringing disgrace or shame, referring to conduct or character
Example : The black record on the student's file was not pleasing for the parents to discover.
2. (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences 3. distributed or sold illicitly
Example : the black economy pays no taxes
4. to make or become black
Example : The smoke blackened the ceiling.
5. total absence of light 6. extremely dark
Example : a black moonless night
7. offering little or no hope
Example : the future looked black
8. harshly ironic or sinister
Example : black humor
9. the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white) 10. (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood
Example : a face black with fury
11. soiled with dirt or soot
Example : with feet black from playing outdoors
12. stemming from evil characteristics or forces 13. marked by anger or resentment or hostility
Example : black looks
14. of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin
Example : a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization- Martin Luther King Jr.
15. being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness 16. (of coffee) without cream or sugar 17. (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading
Example : black propaganda
18. black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning)
Example : the widow wore black
19. (board games) the darker pieces
Translation for "black"
black meaning in Spanish : negro black meaning in German : schwarz black meaning in Japanese : 黒 black meaning in Turkish : siyah black meaning in Chinese : 黑色 black meaning in Arabic : أسود black meaning in Polish : czarny black meaning in Hindi : काली black meaning in French : noir black meaning in Russian : черный black meaning in Tamil : கருப்பு black meaning in Telugu : బ్లాక్