1. to take apart into its constituent pieces
Example : Regulators broke up the giant corporation after it was determined to be a monopoly.
2. to separate substances into constituent elements or parts
Example : This compound needs to be broken up into hydrogen and oxygen.
3. to laugh unrestrainedly
Example : The comedian was making me break up.
4. to cause to separate
Example : We should break up the kidney stones.
5. to break or cause to break into pieces
Example : They asked me to break up the toffee.
6. to bring the association of to an end or cause to break up
Example : We broke up our business relationship years ago.
7. to close at the end of a session
Example : We have to break up before it gets any later.
8. to cause to go into a solution
Example : I broke up the precipitate and tried to dissolve it again.
9. to release ice
Example : The iceberg broke up on the shores of Newfoundland.
10. to attack with or as if with a pickaxe of ice or rocky ground, for example
Example : I broke up the giant piece of ice.
11. to set or keep apart
Example : I had to break up the fight.
12. to destroy the completeness of a set of related items
Example : I broke up the group into three smaller sets.
13. to suffer a nervous breakdown
Example : I broke up at the sight of my dead grandparent.
14. to come apart
Example : I broke the ice up with a pick.
15. to cause to separate and go in different directions
Example : I tried to break up the fight.
16. to discontinue an association or relation
Example : They wanted to break up our relationship after the argument.
Translation for "break up"
break up meaning in Spanish : dividir break up meaning in German : beenden break up meaning in Russian : расставаться break up meaning in Portuguese : rompimento break up meaning in Chinese : 分手 break up meaning in Japanese : 別れる break up meaning in Tamil : உடைக்க break up meaning in Arabic : انفصل break up meaning in Turkish : ayrılmak break up meaning in Hindi : संबंध विच्छेद break up meaning in Telugu : విడిపోవటం break up meaning in French : rompre