1. a telephone connection
Example : They reported several anonymous calls.
2. to utter a sudden loud cry 3. to make a prediction about 5. to get or try to get into communication with someone by telephone
Example : I tried to call you all night.
6. the characteristic sound produced by a bird 7. to pay a brief visit
Example : The mayor likes to call on some of the prominent citizens
8. the option to buy a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date 9. a demand especially in the phrase 'the call of duty' 10. a demand by a broker that a customer deposit enough to bring his margin up to the minimum requirement 11. to order, request, or command to come
Example : I was called into the director's office to receive my promotion.
12. to assign a specified usually proper proper name to 13. to give instructions for a square dance
Example : At the barn dance, I called each step in sequence.
14. to make a demand, as for a card, a suit or a show of hands
Example : I called the bluff and won the pot.
15. to demand payment of a loan 16. to greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name 17. a special disposition, as if from a divine source, to pursue a particular course
Example : I was disappointed that I had not heard the Call.
18. in sports, the decision made by an umpire or referee
Example : They were ejected for protesting the call.
19. a visit in an official or professional capacity
Example : The pastor's calls on their parishioners were appreciated.
20. a brief social visit
Example : senior professors' wives no longer make afternoon calls on newcomers
21. an instruction that interrupts the program being executed
Example : Pascal performs calls by simply giving the name of the routine to be executed
22. a request
Example : many calls for Christmas stories
23. a demand for a show of hands in a card game
Example : after two raises there was a call
24. to rouse somebody from sleep with a call
Example : I was called at 5 A.M. this morning
25. to consider or regard as being
Example : I would not call them beautiful.
26. to challenge the sincerity or truthfulness of
Example : call the speaker on a question of fact
27. to utter in a loud voice or announce
Example : They called my name.
28. to order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role
Example : I was already called 4 times for jury duty.
29. to order or request or give a command for
Example : The unions called a general strike for Sunday
30. to lure by imitating the characteristic call of an animal 31. to declare in the capacity of an umpire or referee
Example : I called the runner out.
32. to challenge somebody to make good on a statement 33. to require the presentation of for redemption before maturation 34. to ascribe a quality to or give a name of a common noun that reflects a quality
Example : They called me courageous.
35. to utter a characteristic note or cry
Example : bluejays called to one another
36. to send a message or attempt to reach someone by radio, phone, etc.
Example : I called you yesterday.
37. to read aloud to check for omissions or absentees 38. to indicate a decision in regard to
Example : call balls and strikes behind the plate
40. to make a stop in a harbour
Example : The ship will call in Honolulu tomorrow.
41. to stop or postpone because of adverse conditions, such as bad weather
Example : call a football game
Translation for "call"
call meaning in Spanish : llamada call meaning in German : Anruf call meaning in Japanese : コール call meaning in Turkish : telefon etmek call meaning in Chinese : 呼叫 call meaning in Arabic : مكالمة call meaning in Polish : połączenie call meaning in Hindi : कॉल call meaning in French : appel call meaning in Russian : вызов call meaning in Tamil : அழைப்பு call meaning in Telugu : కాల్