1. to see or watch
Example : I wanted to catch the game before it ended.
2. the act of catching an object with the hands
Example : The outfielder made the catch with their ungloved hand.
3. to contract
Example : did you catch a cold?
4. to catch up with and possibly overtake 5. to take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of 6. to hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers 7. the act of apprehending (especially apprehending a criminal) 8. a restraint that checks the motion of something 9. a drawback or difficulty that is not readily evident
Example : it sounds good but what's the catch?
10. a person regarded as a good matrimonial prospect 11. the quantity that was caught
Example : the catch was only 10 fish
12. to grasp with the mind or develop an understanding of
Example : Did you catch that allusion?
13. to detect a blunder or misstep 14. to succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase 15. to hook or entangle
Example : I catch a lot of bluefish from this part of the dock.
16. to reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot 17. to capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping 19. to apprehend and reproduce accurately 21. to reach in time
Example : I have to catch a train at 7 o'clock
22. to suffer from the receipt of
Example : They will catch hell for this behavior!
23. to perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily 24. to perceive by hearing
Example : I didn't catch your name.
25. a cooperative game in which a ball is passed back and forth
Example : I played catch with my kids in the backyard.
26. a fastener that fastens or locks a door or window 27. a break or check in the voice (usually a sign of strong emotion) 28. anything that is caught, especially if it is worth catching
Example : We shared our catch with the others.
30. to be struck or affected by
Example : catch fire
31. to discover or come upon accidentally, suddenly, or unexpectedly
Example : I caught them stealing cookies again.
33. to be the catcher
Example : Who is catching?
34. to cause to become accidentally or suddenly caught, ensnared, or entangled 35. to spread or be communicated
Example : The fashion did not catch
36. to take in and retain
Example : We have a big barrel to catch the rainwater
37. to get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly 38. to check oneself during an action
Example : They managed to catch themselves before telling their boss what was on their mind.
Translation for "catch"
catch meaning in Spanish : captura catch meaning in German : Fang catch meaning in Japanese : キャッチ catch meaning in Turkish : yakalamak catch meaning in Chinese : 抓住 catch meaning in Arabic : قبض على catch meaning in Polish : łapać catch meaning in Hindi : पकड़ catch meaning in French : capture catch meaning in Russian : ловить catch meaning in Tamil : பிடி catch meaning in Telugu : క్యాచ్