1. a place where some particular activity is concentrated
Example : They received messages from several centers.
2. a point equidistant from the ends of a line or the extremities of a figure 3. an area that is approximately central within some larger region
Example : It is in the center of town.
4. the person who plays the center position on a sports team
Example : The center fumbled the handoff.
5. to direct one's attention on something 6. to move into the center
Example : That vase in the picture is not centered.
7. to center upon
Example : My entire attention centered on the children.
8. equally distant from the extremes 9. of or belonging to neither the right nor the left politically or intellectually 10. a position on a basketball team of the player who participates in the jump that starts the game 11. in American football, the position of the player on the line of scrimmage who puts the ball in play
Example : It is a center's responsibility to get the football to the quarterback.
12. the position on a hockey team of the player who participates in the face off at the beginning of the game 13. a building dedicated to a particular activity
Example : They were raising money to build a new center for research.
14. the piece of ground in the outfield directly ahead of the catcher, as related to baseball
Example : I hit the ball to center.
15. mercantile establishment consisting of a carefully landscaped complex of shops representing leading merchandisers 16. a cluster of nerve cells governing a specific bodily process
Example : In most people the speech center is in the left hemisphere.
17. the object upon which interest and attention focuses
Example : Their stories made them the center of the party.
18. the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience 19. the sweet central portion of a piece of candy that is enclosed in chocolate or some other covering 20. politically moderate persons 21. the middle of a military or naval formation
Example : They had to reinforce the center.
Translation for "center"
center meaning in Spanish : centrar center meaning in German : Center center meaning in Japanese : センター center meaning in Turkish : merkez center meaning in Chinese : 中央 center meaning in Arabic : مركز center meaning in Polish : środek center meaning in Hindi : केंद्र center meaning in French : centre center meaning in Russian : центр center meaning in Tamil : சென்டர் center meaning in Telugu : సెంటర్