1. a written symbol that is used to represent speech
Example : the Greek alphabet has 24 characters
2. an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction
Example : I am the main character in the novel of my life.
3. the inherent complex of attributes that determines a persons moral and ethical actions and reactions
Example : education has for its object the formation of character- Herbert Spencer
4. a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something 5. an actor's portrayal of someone in a play 6. a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability
Example : requests for character references are all too often answered evasively
7. a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
Example : a real character
8. to engrave or inscribe characters on 9. (genetics) an attribute (structural or functional) that is determined by a gene or group of genes 10. good repute
Example : We want our children to be people of character.
Translation for "character"
character meaning in Spanish : personaje character meaning in German : Charakter character meaning in Japanese : キャラクター character meaning in Turkish : karakter character meaning in Chinese : 字符 character meaning in Arabic : حرف character meaning in Polish : postać character meaning in Hindi : चरित्र character meaning in French : personnage character meaning in Russian : персонаж character meaning in Tamil : பாத்திரம் character meaning in Telugu : పాత్ర