1. to examine so as to determine accuracy, quality, or condition
Example : check the brakes
2. the state of inactivity following an interruption 3. to find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
Example : I'll check on your flights.
4. to lessen the intensity of
Example : The medication checked my back pain.
5. additional proof that something that was believed is correct, such as some fact, hypothesis, or theory
Example : We received a check once our report was analyzed.
6. the bill in a restaurant
Example : I asked the waiter for the check.
7. a mark indicating that something has been noted or completed
Example : As I called the role I put a check mark by each student's name.
8. a written order directing a bank to pay money
Example : We paid all our bills by check.
9. to slow the growth or development of
Example : Our largest competitor checked our growth locally when they opened up across the street from us.
10. the act of inspecting or verifying
Example : they made a check of their equipment
11. the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess 12. a mark left after a small piece has been chopped or broken off of something 13. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress 14. an appraisal of the state of affairs 15. to make cracks or chinks in
Example : The heat checked the paint.
16. to put a check mark on or near or next to
Example : Please check each name on the list
17. to hold back, as of a danger or an enemy
Example : We should check the influence of our enemy's ideology.
18. to be verified or confirmed 19. (chess) a direct attack on an opponent's king 20. obstructing an opponent in ice hockey 21. a textile pattern of squares or crossed lines, resembling a checkerboard
Example : We wore skirts with checks.
22. to arrest the motion of something abruptly
Example : I checked the flow of water by shutting off the main valve.
23. to verify by consulting a source or authority
Example : I checked your documents and they seem fine.
24. to place into check
Example : With a move of their pawn, they checked my king.
25. to decline to initiate betting
Example : I checked my hand.
26. to stop for a moment, as if out of uncertainty or caution
Example : They repeatedly checked their watch while waiting for the train.
27. to stop in a chase especially when scent is lost
Example : The dog checked.
28. to abandon the intended prey, turn, and pursue an inferior prey 29. to hand over something to somebody as for temporary safekeeping
Example : You can check your coat over there.
30. to consign for shipment on a vehicle
Example : Check your luggage before boarding.
31. to make an examination or investigation
Example : Check into the rumor.
32. to block or impede a player from the opposing team in ice hockey
Example : I was checked so hard I came out of my skates.
Translation for "check"
check meaning in Spanish : comprobar check meaning in German : prüfen check meaning in Japanese : チェック check meaning in Turkish : Kontrol check meaning in Chinese : 校验 check meaning in Arabic : التحقق من check meaning in Polish : czek check meaning in Hindi : चेक check meaning in French : vérifier check meaning in Russian : проверять check meaning in Tamil : சரிபார்க்கவும் check meaning in Telugu : తనిఖీ