1. inclined to secrecy or reticence about divulging information
Example : Although they knew the whereabouts of their friends, they kept close about it.
3. fitting closely but comfortably
Example : a close fit
4. near in time or place or relationship 5. in an attentive manner
Example : We remained close on their guard.
6. marked by fidelity to an original
Example : a close translation
7. not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances 8. crowded
Example : close quarters
9. (of a contest or contestants) evenly matched
Example : a close contest
10. giving or spending with reluctance 11. of textiles
Example : a close weave
12. the concluding part of any performance 13. the last section of a communication 15. to unite or bring into contact or bring together the edges of
Example : close the circuit
16. to move so that an opening or passage is obstructed 17. to become closed
Example : The windows closed with a loud bang
18. to fill or stop up
Example : Can you close the cracks with caulking?
19. to come together, as if in an embrace
Example : Their arms closed around their long lost relative.
20. to cease to operate or cause to cease operating
Example : The owners decided to move and to close the factory.
21. to come to a close
Example : The concert closed with a nocturne by Chopin
23. at or within a short distance in space or time or having elements near each other
Example : close to noon
24. close in relevance or relationship
Example : a close family
25. used of hair or haircuts
Example : a close military haircut
26. confined to specific persons
Example : a close secret
27. strictly confined or guarded
Example : kept under close custody
28. to finish a game in baseball by protecting a lead
Example : The relief pitcher closed with two runs in the second inning
29. to complete a business deal, negotiation, or an agreement
Example : We closed on the house on Friday
30. to bar access to
Example : Due to the accident, the road had to be closed for several hours
31. to bring together all the elements or parts of
Example : Management closed ranks
32. to draw near
Example : The probe closed with the space station.
33. to change one's body stance so that the forward shoulder and foot are closer to the intended point of impact 34. to cause a window or an application to disappear on a computer desktop 35. to engage at close quarters
Example : close with the enemy
36. to finish or terminate meetings, speeches, etc.
Example : The meeting was closed with a charge by the chairman of the board.
37. to be priced or listed when trading stops
Example : The stock market closed high this Friday
Translation for "close"
close meaning in Spanish : cerrar close meaning in German : schließen close meaning in Japanese : 閉じる close meaning in Turkish : kapat close meaning in Chinese : 关 close meaning in Arabic : أغلق close meaning in Polish : blisko close meaning in Hindi : बंद करे close meaning in French : Fermer close meaning in Russian : близко close meaning in Tamil : நெருக்கமான close meaning in Telugu : Close