1. to reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
Example : I contracted the document so only the bare bones were there.
2. to engage by written agreement 3. to be stricken by or fall victim to an illness
Example : Many individuals contracted the plague in London in 1665.
4. a variety of the card game bridge in which the bidder receives points only for the number of tricks that have been bid
Example : I enjoy a game of contract every now and again.
5. in bridge, the highest bid, which sets the number of tricks that the bidder must make
Example : The game was challenging with such a high contract.
6. to become smaller or draw together
Example : My pupils contracted because of the extreme brightness.
7. to make or become more narrow or restricted 8. to enter into a contractual arrangement 9. to make smaller
Example : The heat contracted the woollen garment.
10. to squeeze or press together 11. a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
Example : The contract clearly states that you cannot work for a competitor.
12. an order to kill someone, usually for money
Example : The mob boss put out a contract on the snitch.
Translation for "contract"
contract meaning in Spanish : contrato contract meaning in German : Vertrag contract meaning in Japanese : 契約する contract meaning in Turkish : sözleşme contract meaning in Chinese : 合同 contract meaning in Arabic : عقد contract meaning in Polish : kontrakt contract meaning in Hindi : अनुबंध contract meaning in French : Contrat contract meaning in Russian : контракт contract meaning in Tamil : ஒப்பந்த contract meaning in Telugu : ఒప్పందం