1. the state that exists when one person or group has power over another 2. to be careful or certain to do something 3. great skillfulness and knowledge of some subject or activity 4. to control others or oneself or influence skillfully, usually to one's advantage 5. a mechanism that controls the operation of a machine
Example : The speed control on their turntable was not working properly and played off-tempo music.
6. discipline in personal and social activities 7. a standard against which other conditions can be compared in a scientific experiment
Example : The control condition was inappropriate for the conclusions they wished to draw.
8. to have a firm understanding or knowledge of 9. to handle and cause to function
Example : I controlled the robot with a remote.
10. to exercise authoritative control or power over
Example : control the budget
11. to lessen the intensity of 12. to check or regulate a scientific experiment by conducting a parallel experiment or by comparing with another standard
Example : Are you controlling for the temperature?
13. the activity of managing or exerting control over something
Example : the control of the mob by the police was admirable
14. in physiology, regulation or maintenance of a function or action or reflex etc
Example : The timing and control of their movements were unimpaired.
15. power to direct or determine
Example : under control
16. the economic policy of controlling or limiting or curbing prices or wages etc.
Example : they wanted to repeal all the legislation that imposed economic controls
17. a spiritual agency that is assumed to assist the medium during a seance 18. a relation of constraint of one entity (thing or person or group) by another
Example : measures for the control of disease
19. to verify by using a duplicate register for comparison
Example : control an account
Translation for "control"
control meaning in Spanish : controlar control meaning in German : Steuerung control meaning in Japanese : コントロール control meaning in Turkish : kontrol control meaning in Chinese : 控制 control meaning in Arabic : مراقبة control meaning in Polish : kontrola control meaning in Hindi : नियंत्रण control meaning in French : contrôle control meaning in Russian : контроль control meaning in Tamil : கட்டுப்பாடு control meaning in Telugu : నియంత్రణ