2. to weed out unwanted or unnecessary things
Example : We had to lose weight, so we cut the sugar from our diet
3. to cause to stop operating by disengaging a switch
Example : Cut the lights!
4. mixed with water
Example : sold cut whiskey
5. a male animal, whose testicles are removed
Example : The cut horse was more docile.
6. to cut and assemble the components of 7. with parts removed
Example : the drastically cut film
8. (used of rates or prices) reduced usually sharply 9. (used of grass or vegetation) cut down with a hand implement or machine 10. made neat and tidy by trimming 11. the act of shortening something by chopping off the ends
Example : The barber gave me a good cut.
12. the act of cutting something into parts
Example : Their cuts were skillful.
13. the act of penetrating or opening open with a sharp edge
Example : The cut in the lining revealed the hidden jewels.
14. the division of a deck of cards before dealing
Example : They insisted that we give them the last cut before every deal.
15. (sports) a stroke that puts reverse spin on the ball
Example : cuts do not bother a good tennis player
17. a refusal to recognize someone you know 18. a trench resembling a furrow that was made by erosion or excavation 19. the omission that is made when an editorial change shortens a written passage 20. a distinct selection of music from a recording or a compact disc
Example : I played the first cut on the cd.
21. a remark capable of wounding mentally
Example : the unkindest cut of all
22. a piece of meat that has been cut from an animal carcass 23. a wound made by cutting
Example : I put a bandage over the cut.
24. to cut off the testicles of male animals such as horses 25. to lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture
Example : cut bourbon
26. to reduce in scope while retaining essential elements 27. to cease, stop
Example : cut the noise
28. to refuse to acknowledge
Example : I cut them dead at the meeting.
29. to make out and issue 30. to style and tailor in a certain fashion
Example : cut a dress
31. to perform or carry out
Example : cut a caper
32. to create by duplicating data
Example : We cut a disk.
34. to be able to manage or manage successfully 35. to intentionally fail to attend
Example : I cut gym class all year.
36. separated into parts or laid open or penetrated with a sharp edge or instrument
Example : the cut surface was mottled
37. (of pages of a book) having the folds of the leaves trimmed or slit
Example : the cut pages of the book
38. fashioned or shaped by cutting
Example : a well-cut suit
39. an unexcused absence from class
Example : I was punished for taking too many cuts in my math class.
40. the act of reducing the amount or number
Example : the mayor proposed extensive cuts in the city budget
41. a canal made by erosion or excavation 42. the style in which a garment is cut
Example : a dress of traditional cut
43. (film) an immediate transition from one shot to the next
Example : the cut from the accident scene to the hospital seemed too abrupt
44. a share of the profits
Example : everyone got a cut of the earnings
45. a step on some scale
Example : They are a cut above the rest.
46. to grow through the gums
Example : The new tooth is cutting, which causes the baby pain.
47. to have grow through the gums
Example : The baby cut a tooth
48. to have a reducing effect
Example : This cuts into my earnings
49. to dissolve by breaking down the fat of
Example : soap cuts grease
50. to shorten as if by severing the edges or ends of
Example : cut my hair
51. to penetrate injuriously
Example : The glass from the shattered windshield cut deep into the skin.
53. to reap or harvest
Example : cut grain
54. to hit a ball with a spin so that it turns in the opposite direction
Example : I cut a ping-pong ball, catching my opponent off-guard.
55. to separate with or as if with an instrument 56. to divide a deck of cards at random into two parts to make selection difficult
Example : Wayne cut
57. to make an incision or separation
Example : cut along the dotted line
58. to allow incision or separation
Example : This bread cuts easily
59. to function as a cutting instrument
Example : This knife cuts well
60. to form or shape by cutting or incising
Example : They cut paper dolls for the children.
61. to form by probing, penetrating, or digging
Example : We cut a hole.
62. to record a performance on a medium
Example : cut a record
63. to make a recording of
Example : We cut the record in three days.
64. to stop filming something
Example : The director told me to cut filming.
65. to make an abrupt change of image or sound
Example : They cut from one scene to another.
66. to pass through or across
Example : The boat cut the water
67. to pass directly and often in haste
Example : We cut through the neighbor's yard to get home sooner
68. to move one's fist
Example : The boxer cut upward toward their opponent's chin.
69. to give the appearance or impression of
Example : cut a nice figure
70. to discharge from a group
Example : The coach cut two players from the team.