1. one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
Example : I wanted more of the pie, but I only got this small division.
2. discord that splits a group
Example : The division was caused by gender bias.
3. a group of ships of similar type
Example : The division sailed from Savannah to the Port of Balanacan.
4. a unit of the United States Air Force usually comprising two or more wings
Example : The division flew over 1000 miles to their destination.
5. a league ranked by quality
Example : The players in the bronze division need a lot of practice before they can advance in ranking.
6. the act or process of splitting or partitioning
Example : The division of the country affected the political and economic advantages that it previously had.
7. an arithmetic operation that is the inverse of multiplication
Example : After days of practicing division, they finally understood the concept.
8. an army unit large enough to sustain combat
Example : Two infantry divisions were held in reserve.
9. an administrative unit in government or business
Example : The divisions were responsible with taxing the society.
10. in biology, a group of organisms forming a subdivision of a larger category
Example : Aves is a division of Chordata.
Translation for "division"
division meaning in Spanish : división division meaning in German : Einteilung division meaning in Japanese : 分割 division meaning in Turkish : bölünme division meaning in Chinese : 师 division meaning in Arabic : قطاع division meaning in Polish : podział division meaning in Hindi : विभाजन division meaning in French : division division meaning in Russian : деление division meaning in Tamil : பிரிவு division meaning in Telugu : విభజన