1. having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
Example : a double (or dual) role for an actor
2. make or do or perform again 3. twice as great or many
Example : ate a double portion
4. consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
Example : an egg with a double yolk
5. someone who closely resembles a famous person, especially an actor
Example : I could be Arnold Schwarzenegger's double.
6. a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
Example : Their first job in Hollywood was as a double for the movie star.
7. bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
Example : The drunk person doubled over and vomited violently.
9. having two meanings with intent to deceive
Example : a sly double meaning
10. used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis 11. a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
Example : The batter hit a double to deep centerfield.
12. raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
Example : I decided their double was a bluff.
13. increase twofold
Example : The population doubled within 50 years
14. two together
Example : some people sleep better double
15. downward and forward
Example : I was bent double with pain.
16. large enough for two
Example : a double bed
17. used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
Example : double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical
18. a quantity that is twice as great as another
Example : 36 is the double of 18
21. bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
Translation for "double"
double meaning in Spanish : doble double meaning in German : doppelt double meaning in Japanese : ダブル double meaning in Turkish : çift double meaning in Chinese : 双 double meaning in Arabic : مزدوج double meaning in Polish : podwójnie double meaning in Hindi : दोहरा double meaning in French : double double meaning in Russian : двойной double meaning in Tamil : இரட்டை double meaning in Telugu : డబుల్