1. cause to come or go down
Example : The policeman downed the heavily armed suspect
2. spatially or metaphorically from a higher to a lower level or position
Example : don't fall down
3. improve or perfect by pruning or polishing 4. shoot at and force to come down 5. understood perfectly
Example : I had my algebra problems down.
6. filled with melancholy and despondency 8. extending or moving from a higher to a lower place 10. fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs) 11. eat immoderately
Example : Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal
12. drink down entirely
Example : They downed three martinis before dinner.
13. being put out by a strikeout 14. becoming progressively lower 15. away from a more central or a more northerly place
Example : was sent down to work at the regional office
16. paid in cash at time of purchase
Example : put ten dollars down on the necklace
17. in an inactive or inoperative state
Example : the factory went down during the strike
18. to a lower intensity
Example : The stagehand slowly phased down the light until the stage was completely black.
19. from an earlier time
Example : the story was passed down from father to son
20. not functioning (temporarily or permanently)
Example : we can't work because the computer is down
Example : the shades were down
22. being or moving lower in position or less in some value
Example : lay face down
23. a complete play to advance the football, in American football
Example : You have four downs to gain ten yards.
24. (usually plural) a rolling treeless highland with little soil 25. bring down or defeat (an opponent)
Translation for "down"
down meaning in Spanish : abajo down meaning in German : Nieder down meaning in Japanese : ダウン down meaning in Turkish : aşağı down meaning in Chinese : 下 down meaning in Arabic : أسفل down meaning in Polish : na dół down meaning in Hindi : नीचे down meaning in French : vers le bas down meaning in Russian : вниз down meaning in Tamil : கீழ் down meaning in Telugu : డౌన్