1. cause to move back by force or influence 2. strive and make an effort to reach a goal 3. a road leading up to a private house
Example : they parked in the driveway
4. force into or from an action or state, either physically or metaphorically 5. the act of applying force to propel something
Example : after reaching the desired velocity the drive is cut off
6. move into a desired direction of discourse 7. travel or be transported in a vehicle 8. proceed along in a vehicle
Example : We drive the turnpike to work
9. have certain properties when driven 10. a journey in a vehicle, usually an automobile
Example : I took my family for a drive in my new car.
11. hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver
Example : The golfer practiced their drive religously at the range.
12. a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end 13. a wide scenic road planted with trees
Example : the riverside drive offers many exciting scenic views
14. (computer science) a device that writes data onto or reads data from a storage medium 15. the trait of being highly motivated
Example : Their drive and energy exhausted their co-workers.
16. a physiological state corresponding to a strong need or desire 17. hunting: chase from cover into more open ground
Example : drive the game
18. hunting: search for game
Example : drive the forest
19. cause to function by supplying the force or power for or by controlling
Example : The amplifier drives the tube
20. excavate horizontally
Example : drive a tunnel
21. hit very hard, as by swinging a bat horizontally
Example : drive a ball
22. strike with a driver, as in teeing off
Example : drive a golf ball
23. cause to move rapidly by striking or throwing with force
Example : drive the ball far out into the field
24. push, propel, or press with force 25. compel somebody to do something, often against his own will or judgment 26. operate or control a vehicle
Example : drive a car or bus
27. urge forward
Example : drive the cows into the barn
28. cause someone or something to move by driving 29. move by being propelled by a force 30. work as a driver
Example : I drive a milk truck.
31. to compel or force or urge relentlessly or exert coercive pressure on, or motivate strongly
Example : Their passion helps drive their students to great success.
32. the act of driving a herd of animals overland 33. (sports) a hard straight return (as in tennis or squash) 34. a mechanism by which force or power is transmitted in a machine
Example : a variable speed drive permitted operation through a range of speeds
Translation for "drive"
drive meaning in Spanish : conducir drive meaning in German : Fahrt drive meaning in Japanese : ドライブ drive meaning in Turkish : sürücü drive meaning in Chinese : 驾驶 drive meaning in Arabic : قيادة drive meaning in Polish : napęd drive meaning in Hindi : चलाना drive meaning in French : conduire drive meaning in Russian : привод drive meaning in Tamil : இயக்கி drive meaning in Telugu : డ్రైవ్