1. before anything else
Example : first we must consider the garter snake
2. serving to set in motion 3. ranking above all others
Example : They were first in their class to the surprise of nobody.
4. the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle 5. the first element in a countable series
Example : the first of the month
6. the initial time
Example : when Felix first saw a garter snake
9. the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate) 10. an honours degree of the highest class 11. coming before all others; highest in an ordering or series
Example : The dog was first to be adopted.
12. the time at which something is supposed to begin 13. before another in time, space, or importance
Example : I was here first
14. preceding all others in time or space or degree
Example : the first house on the right
15. highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections
Example : first soprano
16. indicating the beginning unit in a series
Translation for "first"
first meaning in Spanish : primero first meaning in German : zuerst first meaning in Japanese : 最初 first meaning in Turkish : ilk first meaning in Chinese : 第一 first meaning in Arabic : أول first meaning in Polish : pierwszy first meaning in Hindi : प्रथम first meaning in French : premier first meaning in Russian : первый first meaning in Tamil : முதல் first meaning in Telugu : ప్రధమ