1. a unit that is part of some military service
Example : The senate sent Caesar a force of six thousand men.
2. physical energy or intensity
Example : The ball was hit with all the force the batter could muster.
3. squeeze like a wedge into a tight space 5. a putout of a base runner who is required to run 6. an act of aggression, as one against a person who resists
Example : They accomplished things through force when diplomacy failed.
7. (of a law) having legal validity 8. group of people willing to obey orders
Example : a public force is necessary to give security to the rights of citizens
9. one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority 10. impose urgently, importunately, or inexorably
Example : They forced their diet fads on us.
11. cause to move by pulling 12. force into or from an action or state, either physically or metaphorically 13. urge or force (a person) to an action 14. move with force, 'He pushed the table into a corner' 15. to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means :'She forced him to take a job in the city' 16. a powerful effect or influence
Example : The force of my eloquence easily persuaded them.
17. a group of people having the power of effective action
Example : They joined forces with a band of adventurers.
18. (physics) the influence that produces a change in a physical quantity
Example : force equals mass times acceleration
19. do forcibly
Example : exert force
Translation for "force"
force meaning in Spanish : fuerza force meaning in German : Macht force meaning in Japanese : 力 force meaning in Turkish : Kuvvet force meaning in Chinese : 力 force meaning in Arabic : فرض force meaning in Polish : siła force meaning in Hindi : बल force meaning in French : Obliger force meaning in Russian : сила force meaning in Tamil : படை force meaning in Telugu : ఫోర్స్