1. diameter of a tube or gun barrel
Example : We shot a 22 gauge gun.
2. accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared 3. to judge tentatively or form an estimate of quantities or time 4. a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain, etc
Example : We placed the gauge out in the lawn.
5. the thickness of wire
Example : I'm not sure if the gauge of the wire is thick enough.
6. the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
Example : The gauge of the rail lines was non-standard.
7. to mix in specific proportions
Example : Make sure to gauge the plaster.
8. to adapt to a specified measurement
Example : We gauged the instruments before we began.
9. to measure precisely and against a standard
Example : The wire is gauged for that usage.
10. to determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation
Example : We gauged the wine barrels as holding 900 liters.
11. to rub to a uniform size
Example : We should gauge the bricks.
Translation for "gage"
gage meaning in Spanish : calibrar gage meaning in German : Messgerät gage meaning in Russian : измерительный прибор gage meaning in Portuguese : calibrar gage meaning in Chinese : 抵押品 gage meaning in Japanese : ゲージ gage meaning in Tamil : கேஜ் gage meaning in Arabic : سعة gage meaning in Turkish : ölçü gage meaning in Hindi : पण gage meaning in Telugu : GAGE gage meaning in French : jauge