1. a relation that provides the foundation for something 2. the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface 3. a connection between an electrical device and a large conducting body, such as the earth (which is taken to be at zero voltage) 4. the part of a scene or picture that lies behind objects in the foreground
Example : The artist posed the model against a background of rolling hills.
5. a rational motive for a belief or action 6. the solid part of the earth's surface 7. material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use) 8. the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface 10. fix firmly and stably 12. hit or reach the ground 13. bring to the ground
Example : the storm grounded the ship
14. a wall or canvas prepared to be painted on
Example : I was ready to begin painting the ground I had setup earlier.
15. a relatively homogeneous percept extending back of the figure on which attention is focused 16. a position to be won or defended in battle (or as if in battle)
Example : they gained ground step by step
17. instruct someone in the fundamentals of a subject 18. connect to a ground
Example : ground the electrical connections for safety reasons
20. hit a groundball
Example : The batter grounded to second base.
21. throw to the ground in order to stop play and avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage 22. place or put on the ground 23. confine or restrict to the ground
Example : After the accident, they grounded the plane and the pilot
Translation for "ground"
ground meaning in Spanish : suelo ground meaning in German : Boden ground meaning in Japanese : 接地 ground meaning in Turkish : zemin ground meaning in Chinese : 地面 ground meaning in Arabic : أرض ground meaning in Polish : ziemia ground meaning in Hindi : भूमि ground meaning in French : sol ground meaning in Russian : земля ground meaning in Tamil : தரையில் ground meaning in Telugu : గ్రౌండ్