1. a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc. 2. protect against a challenge or attack 3. (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
Example : guards must be good blockers
4. the duty of serving as a sentry
Example : They were on guard that night.
5. a device designed to prevent injury or accidents 6. the person who plays that position on a football team
Example : the left guard was injured on the play
7. watch over or shield from danger or harm 8. a position on a basketball team 9. a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
Example : keep your guard up
10. a military unit serving to protect some place or person 11. a person who keeps watch over something or someone 12. the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team 13. to keep watch over
Example : there would be men guarding the horses
14. take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
Example : guard against becoming too friendly with the staff
Translation for "guard"
guard meaning in Spanish : Guardia guard meaning in German : bewachen guard meaning in Japanese : ガード guard meaning in Turkish : bekçi guard meaning in Chinese : 守护 guard meaning in Arabic : حارس guard meaning in Polish : strzec guard meaning in Hindi : रक्षक guard meaning in French : garde guard meaning in Russian : охрана guard meaning in Tamil : பாதுகாப்பு guard meaning in Telugu : గార్డు