1. the prehensile extremity of the superior limb
Example : I have the hands of a surgeon.
2. a hired laborer on a farm or ranch
Example : the hired hand fixed the railing
3. physical assistance
Example : give me a hand with the chores
4. the characteristic pattern of someone's handwriting
Example : I recognized their hand.
5. the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time
Example : I didn't hold a good hand all evening
6. a card player in a game of bridge
Example : we need a 4th hand for bridge
7. place into the hands or custody of
Example : hand me the spoon, please
8. terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos)
Example : the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting- Springfield (Mass.) Union
9. a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece
Example : the big hand counts the minutes
10. ability or skill
Example : I wanted to try my hand at singing.
11. one of two sides of an issue
Example : on the one hand..., but on the other hand...
12. a round of applause to signify approval
Example : give the little lady a great big hand
13. a position given by its location to the side of an object
Example : objections were voiced on every hand
14. a member of the crew of a ship
Example : all hands on deck
15. a unit of length equal to 4 inches
Example : The horse stood 17 hands tall at the shoulder.
16. guide or conduct or usher somewhere
Example : hand the elderly lady into the taxi
Translation for "hand"
hand meaning in Spanish : mano hand meaning in German : Hand hand meaning in Japanese : ハンド hand meaning in Turkish : el hand meaning in Chinese : 手 hand meaning in Arabic : يد hand meaning in Polish : dłoń hand meaning in Hindi : हाथ hand meaning in French : main hand meaning in Russian : рука hand meaning in Tamil : கை hand meaning in Telugu : చేతి