1. a public secondary school usually including grades 9 through 12, short for "high school"
Example : All the kids in Mayberry go to Mayberry High.
2. used of sounds and voices
Example : high in pitch or frequency
3. (used of the smell of meat) smelling spoiled or tainted 4. at a great altitude
Example : We climbed high on the mountain, the view was breathtaking.
5. in a rich manner
Example : They live high.
6. happy and excited and energetic 7. slightly and pleasantly intoxicated from alcohol or a drug (especially marijuana) 8. standing above others in quality or position
Example : people in high places
9. a forward gear with a gear ratio that gives the greatest vehicle velocity for a given engine speed 10. a high place
Example : they stood on high and observed the countryside
11. far up toward the source
Example : We lived high up the river.
12. in or to a high position, amount, or degree
Example : prices have gone up far too high
13. (literal meaning) being at or having a relatively great or specific elevation or upward extension (sometimes used in combinations like `knee-high')
Example : a high mountain
14. greater than normal in degree or intensity or amount
Example : a high temperature
15. a lofty level or position or degree
Example : summer temperatures reached an all-time high
16. a state of altered consciousness induced by alcohol or narcotics
Example : they took drugs to get a high on
17. a state of sustained elation
Example : I'm on a permanent high these days
18. an air mass of higher than normal pressure
Example : the east coast benefits from a Bermuda high
Translation for "high"
high meaning in Spanish : alto high meaning in German : hoch high meaning in Japanese : 高い high meaning in Turkish : yüksek high meaning in Chinese : 高 high meaning in Arabic : متوسط high meaning in Polish : wysoki high meaning in Hindi : उच्च high meaning in French : haute high meaning in Russian : высоко high meaning in Tamil : உயர் high meaning in Telugu : అధిక