1. kill intentionally and with premeditation 2. reach a destination, either real or abstract
Example : We hit Detroit by noon
3. a conspicuous success
Example : That song was my first hit and marked the beginning of my career as a singer.
6. the act of forcefully contacting one thing with another
Example : repeated hitting raised a large bruise
7. hit with a missile from a weapon 8. cause to experience suddenly 9. make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target 10. affect or afflict suddenly, usually adversely
Example : We were hit by really bad weather
11. produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically 12. reach a point in time, or a certain state or level
Example : The thermometer hit 100 degrees
13. to drive something violently into a location
Example : I hit my fist on the table to get the room's attention.
15. a successful swing in a baseball game
Example : The base runner came all the way home on Williams' hit.
16. a counting term for an internet user viewing a web page
Example : Yesterday our website got over 500 hits!
17. a murder carried out by an underworld syndicate
Example : it has all the earmarks of a Mafia hit
18. a dose of an illicit drug
Example : it's not a good idea to take your first hit of heroin
19. to pay unsolicited and usually unwanted sexual attention to
Example : They tried to hit on patrons of the bar.
20. to strike the intended target or goal
Example : I hit the goal!
21. consume to excess
Example : hit the bottle
22. deal a blow to, either with the hand or with an instrument
Example : I hit you hard in the face.
23. to cause to move by striking, moving it into a new location, either intended or not
Example : I hit a ball into the backyard.
Translation for "hit"
hit meaning in Spanish : golpear hit meaning in German : schlagen hit meaning in Japanese : ヒット hit meaning in Turkish : vurmak hit meaning in Chinese : 击中 hit meaning in Arabic : نجاح hit meaning in Polish : trafienie hit meaning in Hindi : मारो hit meaning in French : frappé hit meaning in Russian : удар hit meaning in Tamil : வெற்றி hit meaning in Telugu : హిట్