1. the space in a ship or aircraft for storing cargo 2. time during which some action is awaited 3. maintain (a theory, thoughts, or feelings) 6. secure and keep for possible future use or application 7. resist or confront with resistance 8. keep in mind or convey as a conviction or view 10. to close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement
Example : This holds the local until the express passengers change trains
11. have or possess, either in a concrete or an abstract sense 12. arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance 13. be valid, applicable, or true
Example : This theory still holds
14. be pertinent or relevant or applicable 15. keep in a certain state, position, or activity 16. be capable of holding or containing 17. have room for
Example : hold without crowding
19. the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it 20. a cell in a jail or prison 21. understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something 22. a state of being confined (usually for a short time) 23. protect against a challenge or attack 24. drink alcohol without showing ill effects
Example : They can hold their liquor.
25. have or hold in one's hands or grip 26. be the physical support of 27. support in a certain manner
Example : I held my head high.
28. organize or be responsible for
Example : hold a reception
31. lessen the intensity of 34. power by which something or someone is affected or dominated
Example : The emperor has a hold over them.
35. keep from exhaling or expelling
Example : hold your breath
36. remain committed to
Example : I hold to these ideas
37. assert or affirm
Example : Rousseau's philosophy holds that people are inherently good
38. hold the attention of 39. aim, point, or direct 40. cover as for protection against noise or smell 41. take and maintain control over, often by violent means 43. stop dealing with
Example : Please hold all calls to the President's office while they are in a meeting.
44. remain in a certain state, position, or condition 45. have as a major characteristic
Example : The novel holds many surprises
Translation for "hold"
hold meaning in Spanish : sostener hold meaning in German : halt hold meaning in Japanese : ホールド hold meaning in Turkish : ambar hold meaning in Chinese : 保持 hold meaning in Arabic : معلق hold meaning in Polish : trzymać hold meaning in Hindi : पकड़ hold meaning in French : tenir hold meaning in Russian : держать hold meaning in Tamil : நடத்த hold meaning in Telugu : పట్టుకోండి