1. a winged often one-seed indehiscent fruit as of the ash or elm or maple 2. the central building block at the top of an arch or vault 3. identify as in botany or biology, for example 4. serving as an essential component 5. mechanical device used to wind another device that is driven by a spring (as a clock) 6. any of 24 major or minor diatonic scales that provide the tonal framework for a piece of music 7. (basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court 8. a coral reef off the southern coast of Florida 9. a kilogram of a narcotic drug
Example : they were carrying two keys of heroin
10. harmonize with or adjust to
Example : key one's actions to the voters' prevailing attitude
11. regulate the musical pitch of 12. vandalize a car by scratching the sides with a key
Example : My new Mercedes was keyed last night in the parking lot.
13. provide with a key
Example : We were keyed after the locks were changed in the building
14. metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated 15. a lever (as in a keyboard) that actuates a mechanism when depressed 16. pitch of the voice
Example : They spoke in a low key.
17. something crucial for explaining
Example : the key to development is economic integration
18. a generic term for any device whose possession entitles the holder to a means of access
Example : a safe-deposit box usually requires two keys to open it
19. a list of words or phrases that explain symbols or abbreviations 20. a list of answers to a test
Example : some students had stolen the key to the final exam
Translation for "key"
key meaning in Spanish : llave key meaning in German : Schlüssel key meaning in Japanese : キー key meaning in Turkish : anahtar key meaning in Chinese : 键 key meaning in Arabic : مفتاح key meaning in Polish : klawisz key meaning in Hindi : कुंजी key meaning in French : clé key meaning in Russian : ключ key meaning in Tamil : முக்கிய key meaning in Telugu : కీ