1. the solid part of the earth's surface
Example : the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land
2. extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use
Example : the family owned a large estate on Long Island
3. the people who live in a nation or country 4. territory over which rule or control is exercised 5. material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use)
Example : the land had never been plowed
6. a domain in which something is dominant 7. arrive on shore
Example : The ship landed in Pearl Harbor
8. agriculture considered as an occupation or way of life 9. a politically organized body of people under a single government 10. the territory occupied by a nation
Example : They returned to the land of their birth.
11. reach or come to rest
Example : The bird landed on the highest branch
12. cause to come to the ground
Example : the pilot managed to land the airplane safely
13. shoot at and force to come down
Example : the enemy landed several of our aircraft
14. the land on which real estate is located
Example : I built the house on land leased from the city.
15. bring into a different state
Example : this may land you in jail
16. bring ashore
Example : The drug smugglers landed the heroin on the beach of the island
17. to deliver a blow
Example : I landed several blows on my opponent's head.
Translation for "land"
land meaning in Spanish : tierra land meaning in German : Land land meaning in Japanese : 土地 land meaning in Turkish : arazi land meaning in Chinese : 土地 land meaning in Arabic : أرض land meaning in Polish : wylądować land meaning in Hindi : भूमि land meaning in French : terre land meaning in Russian : земельные участки land meaning in Tamil : நில land meaning in Telugu : భూమి