1. a jumper that consists of a short piece of wire
Example : it was a tangle of jumper cables and clip leads
2. the introductory section of a story
Example : it was an amusing lead-in to a very serious matter
3. an actor who plays a principal role 4. move ahead (of others) in time or space 6. take somebody somewhere
Example : We lead the prisoner to our chief.
8. be conducive to
Example : The use of computers in the classroom lead to better writing
9. have as a result or residue 10. stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope 11. lead, extend, or afford access 12. cause something to pass or lead somewhere 14. mixture of graphite with clay in different degrees of hardness 15. thin strip of metal used to separate lines of type in printing 16. restraint consisting of a rope (or light chain) used to restrain an animal 17. the timing of ignition relative to the position of the piston in an internal-combustion engine 18. evidence pointing to a possible solution
Example : the police are following a promising lead
19. a news story of major importance 20. an indication of potential opportunity 22. lead, as in the performance of a composition 23. tend to or result in
Example : This remark lead to further arguments among the guests
24. the playing of a card to start a trick in bridge
Example : the lead was in the dummy
25. a position of leadership, especially in the phrase 'take the lead'
Example : They take the lead in any group.
26. an advantage held by a competitor in a race
Example : The runner took the lead at the last turn.
27. in baseball or softball, the position taken by a base runner preparing to advance to the next base
Example : The baserunner took a long lead off first.
28. (sports) the score by which a team or individual is winning 29. the angle between the direction a gun is aimed and the position of a moving target (correcting for the flight time of the missile) 30. a soft heavy toxic malleable metallic element 31. cause to undertake a certain action
Translation for "lead"
lead meaning in Spanish : dirigir lead meaning in German : führen lead meaning in Japanese : 鉛 lead meaning in Turkish : öncülük etmek lead meaning in Chinese : 铅 lead meaning in Arabic : قيادة lead meaning in Polish : prowadzić lead meaning in Hindi : नेतृत्व lead meaning in French : conduire lead meaning in Russian : вести lead meaning in Tamil : வழிவகுக்கும் lead meaning in Telugu : దారి