1. make lighter or brighter
Example : This lamp lightens the room a bit
2. the quality of being luminous
Example : emitting or reflecting light
3. cause to start burning 4. weak and likely to lose consciousness 5. having relatively few calories 6. merriment expressed by a brightness or gleam or animation of countenance 7. moving easily and quickly 8. (used of vowels or syllables) pronounced with little or no stress
Example : a syllable that ends in a short vowel is a light syllable
10. to come to rest, settle
Example : Misfortune lighted upon him
11. marked by temperance in indulgence 12. with few burdens
Example : experienced travellers travel light
13. casual and unrestrained in sexual behavior 14. with regard to color, having a relatively small amount of coloring agent
Example : Light blue is a color associated with the University of North Carolina.
15. (of sleep) easily disturbed
Example : in a light doze
16. of the military or industry
Example : using (or being) relatively small or light arms or equipment
17. (of sound or color) free from anything that dulls or dims 19. less than the correct or legal or full amount often deliberately so
Example : a light pound
20. any device serving as a source of illumination
Example : I stopped the car and turned off the lights.
21. a device for lighting or igniting fuel or charges or fires
Example : do you have a light?
22. the visual effect of illumination on objects or scenes as created in pictures
Example : The director was excellent at making the light part add to the drama of the play.
23. (physics) electromagnetic radiation that can produce a visual sensation
Example : the light was filtered through a soft glass window
24. having abundant light or illumination
Example : they played as long as it was light
25. a condition of spiritual awareness 26. alight from (a horse) 27. fall to somebody by assignment or lot 28. characterized by or emitting light
Example : a room that is light when the shutters are open
29. (used of soil) loose and large-grained in consistency
Example : light soil
30. demanding little effort 31. easily assimilated in the alimentary canal 32. of comparatively little physical weight or density
Example : a light load
33. designed for ease of movement or to carry little weight
Example : light aircraft
34. psychologically light 35. not great in degree or quantity or number
Example : a light sentence
36. (physics, chemistry) not having atomic weight greater than average
Example : light water is ordinary water
37. of little intensity or power or force
Example : The light touch of their fingers was exhilirating.
38. intended primarily as entertainment 39. having little importance
Example : Losing a job is no light matter.
40. very thin and insubstantial 41. public awareness
Example : it brought the scandal to light
42. mental understanding as an enlightening experience
Example : They finally saw the light.
43. a particular perspective or aspect of a situation
Example : Although they saw it in a different light, they still did not understand.
44. a visual warning signal
Example : they saw the light of the beacon
45. an illuminated area
Example : I stepped into the light.
46. a person regarded very fondly
Example : the light of my life
Translation for "light"
light meaning in Spanish : ligero light meaning in German : Licht light meaning in Japanese : 光 light meaning in Turkish : ışık light meaning in Chinese : 光 light meaning in Arabic : ضوء light meaning in Polish : światło light meaning in Hindi : रोशनी light meaning in French : lumière light meaning in Russian : свет light meaning in Tamil : ஒளி light meaning in Telugu : కాంతి