1. of a scale or mode
Example : major scales
2. of the elder of two boys with the same family name 3. greater in number or size or amount
Example : a major portion (a majority) of the population
4. greater in scope or effect
Example : a major contribution
6. of the field of academic study in which one concentrates or specializes
Example : My major field was mathematics.
7. of greater importance or stature or rank
Example : a major artist
8. of greater seriousness or danger
Example : a major earthquake
9. the principal field of study of a student at a university
Example : My major is linguistics.
10. a commissioned military officer in the United States Army or Air Force or Marines 11. a university student who is studying a particular field as the principal subject
Example : I am a major in liguistics.
12. have as one's principal field of study
Example : They are majoring in linguistics at a school known for those studies.
Translation for "major"
major meaning in Spanish : mayor major meaning in German : Haupt major meaning in Japanese : 専攻 major meaning in Turkish : majör major meaning in Chinese : 重大的 major meaning in Arabic : رائد major meaning in Polish : poważny major meaning in Hindi : प्रमुख major meaning in French : Majeur major meaning in Russian : основной major meaning in Tamil : முக்கிய major meaning in Telugu : ప్రధాన