1. identify as in botany or biology, for example 2. make reference to
Example : The professor named the assistant in connection with the invention.
3. create and charge with a task or function 4. a defamatory or abusive word or phrase 5. family based on male descent
Example : The family had no sons so there was no one to carry on the family name.
6. a well-known or notable person
Example : they studied all the great names in the history of France
7. determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis 8. give or make a list of
Example : name individually
9. give the name or identifying characteristics of
Example : refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
10. assign a specified, usually proper name to
Example : The parents couldn't agree on a name for their baby.
11. charge with a function 12. by the sanction or authority of
Example : halt in the name of the law
13. a language unit by which a person or thing is known
Example : Their name really is the same as the president.
14. a person's reputation
Example : They wanted to protect their good name.
15. mention and identify by name
Example : name your accomplices!
Translation for "name"
name meaning in Spanish : nombre name meaning in German : Name name meaning in Japanese : 名 name meaning in Turkish : isim name meaning in Chinese : 名称 name meaning in Arabic : اسم name meaning in Polish : imię name meaning in Hindi : नाम name meaning in French : prénom name meaning in Russian : название name meaning in Tamil : பெயர் name meaning in Telugu : పేరు