1. the sequence of digits that is used in calling a particular telephone
Example : I got an unlisted number after being stalked.
2. the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals
Example : They had a number of chores to do.
3. a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
Example : I refused to give them my Social Security number.
4. one of a series published periodically 5. a symbol used to represent a number 6. a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program 7. enumerate
Example : We must number the names of the great mathematicians
8. determine the number or amount of 9. add up in number or quantity 11. an item of merchandise offered for sale
Example : I prefer the black nylon number.
12. a clothing measurement
Example : a number 13 shoe
13. the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural)
Example : in English the subject and the verb must agree in number
14. a select company of people
Example : I hope to become one of their number before I die
15. a concept of quantity involving zero and units
Example : every number has a unique position in the sequence
16. place a limit on the number of 17. give numbers to
Example : You should number the pages of the thesis
Translation for "number"
number meaning in Spanish : número number meaning in German : Nummer number meaning in Japanese : 数 number meaning in Turkish : numara number meaning in Chinese : 数 number meaning in Arabic : رقم number meaning in Polish : numer number meaning in Hindi : संख्या number meaning in French : nombre number meaning in Russian : число number meaning in Tamil : எண் number meaning in Telugu : సంఖ్య