1. an entrance equipped with a hatch 2. an aperture or hole that opens into a bodily cavity 3. a possible alternative 4. the first performance, as of a theatrical production
Example : The opening received rave reviews.
5. the first of a series of actions 6. a recognized sequence of moves at the beginning of a game of chess
Example : They memorized all the important chess openings.
7. an open or empty space in or between things
Example : there was a small opening between the trees
8. first or beginning
Example : the memorable opening bars of Beethoven's Fifth
9. the act of opening something
Example : The ray of light revealed their cautious opening of the door.
10. becoming open or being made open
Example : The opening of the 1904 World's Fair Exposition was a sight to behold.
11. a vacant or unobstructed space that is man-made
Example : they left a small opening for the cat at the bottom of the door
12. the initial part of the introduction
Example : the opening established the basic theme
13. a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise 14. opportunity especially for employment or promotion
Example : there is an opening in the sales department
Translation for "opening"
opening meaning in Spanish : apertura opening meaning in German : Öffnung opening meaning in Japanese : オープニング opening meaning in Turkish : açılış opening meaning in Chinese : 开盘 opening meaning in Arabic : افتتاح opening meaning in Polish : otwarcie opening meaning in Hindi : प्रारंभिक opening meaning in French : ouverture opening meaning in Russian : открытие opening meaning in Tamil : திறப்பு opening meaning in Telugu : ప్రారంభ