1. gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement
Example : it was all done in play
2. contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle
Example : Princeton plays Yale this weekend
3. manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination
Example : I played nervously with my wedding ring.
4. cause to happen or to occur as a consequence 5. perform on a stage or theater
Example : The understudy will play the part if something happens to the lead actor.
6. behave carelessly or indifferently 7. the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize) 8. a deliberate coordinated movement requiring dexterity and skill 9. verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously) 10. a dramatic work intended for performance by actors on a stage
Example : The playwright wrote several plays but only one was produced on Broadway.
11. (in games or plays or other performances) the time during which play proceeds
Example : rain stopped play in the 4th inning
12. consider not very seriously 13. stake on the outcome of an issue 14. play a role or part
Example : Gielgud played Hamlet
15. the act using a sword (or other weapon) vigorously and skillfully 16. activity by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules
Example : Freud believed in the utility of play to a small child
17. (game) the activity of doing something in an agreed succession 18. an attempt to get something
Example : they made a futile play for power
19. movement or space for movement
Example : there was too much play in the steering wheel
20. a weak and tremulous light 21. the removal of constraints 22. engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously
Example : They played games on their opponents
23. pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind 24. use to one's advantage
Example : They plays on the consumer's emotions.
25. cause to emit recorded audio or video 27. engage in recreational activities rather than work 28. behave in a certain way
Example : play safe
29. a preset plan of action in team sports
Example : The coach drew up the plays for the team.
30. utilization or exercise
Example : the play of the imagination
31. a theatrical performance of a drama
Example : the play lasted two hours
32. a state in which action is feasible
Example : the ball was still in play
33. exhaust by allowing to pull on the line
Example : play a hooked fish
34. participate in games or sport
Example : We played hockey all afternoon
35. employ in a game or in a specific position
Example : They played the shortstop on first base, after the first base player was injured.
36. use or move
Example : I had to play my queen
37. shoot or hit in a particular manner
Example : I played a good backhand last night.
38. bet or wager
Example : I played $20 on the new horse.
39. put a card or piece into play during a game, or act strategically as if in a card game
Example : They are playing their cards close to their chest.
41. discharge or direct or be discharged or directed as if in a continuous stream
Example : play water from a hose
42. perform on a certain location
Example : The prodigy played Carnegie Hall at the age of 16
43. be performed or presented for public viewing
Example : What's playing in the local movie theater?
44. emit recorded sound
Example : The tape was playing for hours
45. pretend to be somebody in the framework of a game or playful activity
Example : Let's play like I am mommy
46. play on an instrument
Example : The band played all night long
47. to perform music on a musical instrument
Example : They play the flute.
48. move or seem to move quickly, lightly, or irregularly
Example : The spotlights played on the politicians
49. cause to move or operate freely within a bounded space
Example : The engine has a wheel that is playing in a rack
50. act or have an effect in a specified way or with a specific effect or outcome
Example : This factor played only a minor part in our decision.
51. be at play
Example : be engaged in playful activity
52. be received or accepted or interpreted in a specific way
Example : This speech didn't play well with the American public
Translation for "play"
play meaning in Spanish : jugar play meaning in German : abspielen play meaning in Japanese : 遊びます play meaning in Turkish : oyun play meaning in Chinese : 玩 play meaning in Arabic : لعب play meaning in Polish : grać play meaning in Hindi : प्ले play meaning in French : jouer play meaning in Russian : играть play meaning in Tamil : விளையாட play meaning in Telugu : ప్లే