1. the basic unit of money in Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2. strike or drive against with a heavy impact 3. the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows) 4. a public enclosure for stray or unlicensed dogs
Example : unlicensed dogs will be taken to the pound
5. a symbol for a unit of currency (especially for the pound sterling in Great Britain) 6. a nontechnical unit of force equal to the mass of 1 pound with an acceleration of free fall equal to 32 feet/sec/sec 7. formerly the basic unit of money in Ireland 8. equivalent to 16 ounces avoirdupois
Example : They got a hernia when they tried to lift 100 pounds.
9. place or shut up in a pound
Example : pound the cows so they don't stray
10. shut up or confine in any enclosure or within any bounds or limits
Example : The prisoners are safely pounded
11. hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument
Example : the salesman pounded the door knocker
12. partition off into compartments
Example : The locks pound the water of the canal
14. move heavily or clumsily 15. the basic unit of money in Cyprus 16. the basic unit of money in Egypt 17. the basic unit of money in Lebanon 18. the basic unit of money in the Sudan 19. the basic unit of money in Syria 20. a unit of apothecary weight equal to 12 ounces troy 21. break down and crush by beating, as with a pestle
Example : pound the roots with a heavy flat stone
Translation for "pound"
pound meaning in Spanish : libra pound meaning in German : Pfund pound meaning in Japanese : ポンド pound meaning in Turkish : pound pound meaning in Chinese : 磅 pound meaning in Arabic : جنيه pound meaning in Polish : funt pound meaning in Hindi : पौंड pound meaning in French : livre pound meaning in Russian : фунт pound meaning in Tamil : பவுண்டு pound meaning in Telugu : పౌండ్