1. one of four equal parts
Example : I ate a quarter of the pie.
2. the rear part of a ship
Example : I snuck aboard the boat by hiding in the quarter.
3. to pull a person apart with four horses tied to their extremities, so as to execute them
Example : In the old days, people were drawn and quartered for certain crimes.
4. to provide housing for, usually used for military personnel
Example : I was quartered in a bunker at first.
5. clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent
Example : We surrendered but asked for quarter, hoping that our captors would be accommodating.
6. piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
Example : I had the cobbler replace the quarter on my boots.
7. a district of a city having some distinguishing character
Example : The French Quarter of the city is considered to be the most beautiful.
8. an unspecified person
Example : They dropped a word in the right quarter.
9. a United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar
Example : I fed four quarters into the slot machine.
10. a quarter of a hundredweight, 28 pounds 11. one of the four major division of the compass
Example : The wind is coming from that quarter.
12. a fourth part of a year, usually in financial areas
Example : What are your sales figures for the last quarter?
13. one of four periods into which the school year is divided
Example : The fall quarter ends at Christmas.
14. a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
Example : It's now a quarter to four.
15. one of four timed divisions into which some games are divided
Example : Both teams scored in the first quarter.
16. to divide by four
Example : If you quarter twelve, you get three.
17. to divide into quarters
Example : I quartered a pie.
Translation for "quarter"
quarter meaning in Spanish : trimestre quarter meaning in German : Quartal quarter meaning in Japanese : 四半期 quarter meaning in Turkish : çeyrek quarter meaning in Chinese : 25美分硬币 quarter meaning in Arabic : ربع quarter meaning in Polish : jedna czwarta quarter meaning in Hindi : त्रिमास quarter meaning in French : trimestre quarter meaning in Russian : четверть quarter meaning in Tamil : காலாண்டில் quarter meaning in Telugu : క్వార్టర్