1. summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
Example : raise the specter of unemployment
2. call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses) 3. give a promotion to or assign to a higher position 4. the amount a salary is increased
Example : They got a 3% raise.
5. an upward slope or grade (as in a road) 7. construct, build, or erect 8. cause to become alive again
Example : raise from the dead
9. raise in rank or condition 10. cause to assemble or enlist in the military
Example : raise an army
11. cause to puff up with a leaven 12. bring up
Example : raise a family
13. the act of raising something 15. invigorate or heighten 16. put forward for consideration or discussion
Example : raise the question of promotions
17. cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques 19. raise from a lower to a higher position 20. increasing the size of a bet (as in poker)
Example : I'll see your raise and double it
21. raise the level or amount of something
Example : raise my salary
22. bring into relief and cause to project, usually referring to a surface or design
Example : I raised the lines on the design to make it more tactile.
23. multiply (a number) by itself a specified number of times: 8 is 2 raised to the power 3 24. establish radio communications with
Example : They managed to raise Hanoi last night
25. activate or stir up
Example : raise a mutiny
26. cause to be heard or known 27. pronounce (vowels) by bringing the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth
Example : raise your `o'
28. bet more than the previous player 29. bid (one's partner's suit) at a higher level 30. create a disturbance, especially by making a great noise
Example : raise hell
31. to collect funds for a specific purpose
Example : The President raised several million dollars for their college.
Translation for "raise"
raise meaning in Spanish : aumento raise meaning in German : erziehen raise meaning in Japanese : 上げる raise meaning in Turkish : yükseltmek raise meaning in Chinese : 提高 raise meaning in Arabic : ربى raise meaning in Polish : podnieść raise meaning in Hindi : उठाना raise meaning in French : élever raise meaning in Russian : повышение raise meaning in Tamil : உயர்த்த raise meaning in Telugu : పెంచడానికి