1. the state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged
Example : the partners were delighted with the recognition of their work
2. the process of recognizing something or someone by remembering
Example : The politician's recall of names was as remarkable as their recognition of faces.
3. coming to understand something clearly and distinctly 4. approval, identification based on previous encounters
Example : Sometimes recognition for trying is better than a victory.
5. designation by the chair granting a person the right to speak in a deliberative body
Example : I was unable to make my motion, because I couldn't get recognition by the chairman.
6. an acceptance of a claim as true and valid
Example : The recognition of the Rio Grande as a boundary between Mexico and the United States settled the debate.
7. the explicit and formal acknowledgement of a government or of the national independence of a country
Example : territorial disputes were resolved in Guatemala's recognition of Belize in 1991
8. (biology) the ability of one molecule to attach to another molecule that has a complementary shape
Example : molecular recognition drives all of biology, for instance, hormone and receptor or antibody-antigen interactions or the organization of molecules into larger biologically active entities
Translation for "recognition"
recognition meaning in Spanish : reconocimiento recognition meaning in German : Anerkennung recognition meaning in Japanese : 認識 recognition meaning in Turkish : tanıma recognition meaning in Chinese : 承认 recognition meaning in Arabic : التعرف على recognition meaning in Polish : uznanie recognition meaning in Hindi : मान्यता recognition meaning in French : reconnaissance recognition meaning in Russian : признание recognition meaning in Tamil : அங்கீகாரம் recognition meaning in Telugu : గుర్తింపు