1. put down by force or intimidation 2. be the essential element 3. to remove oxygen from a compound, or cause to react with hydrogen or form a hydride, or to undergo an increase in the number of electrons 5. lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture 6. narrow or limit
Example : reduce the influx of foreigners
7. cook until very little liquid is left
Example : The cook reduced the sauce by boiling it for a long time
8. be cooked until very little liquid is left
Example : The sauce should reduce to one cup
9. make smaller
Example : reduce an image
10. reduce in size
Example : reduce physically
11. reduce in scope while retaining essential elements 13. make less complex
Example : reduce a problem to a single question
14. destress and thus weaken a sound when pronouncing it 15. reposition (a broken bone after surgery) back to its normal site 16. undergo meiosis
Example : The cells reduce
17. lower in grade or rank or force somebody into an undignified situation
Example : They reduced their children to servants.
18. simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another 19. lessen and make more modest
Example : reduce one's standard of living
20. bring to humbler or weaker state or condition
Example : The dictator reduced the population to slavery in a matter of years.
Translation for "reduce"
reduce meaning in Spanish : reducir reduce meaning in German : reduzieren reduce meaning in Japanese : 減らす reduce meaning in Turkish : azaltmak reduce meaning in Chinese : 降低 reduce meaning in Arabic : خفض reduce meaning in Polish : redukować reduce meaning in Hindi : को कम reduce meaning in French : réduire reduce meaning in Russian : уменьшить reduce meaning in Tamil : குறைக்க reduce meaning in Telugu : తగ్గించేందుకు