1. a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts
Example : The expert contributed articles to the basic reference on that topic.
2. (computer science) the code that identifies where a piece of information is stored 3. a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability
Example : requests for character references are all too often answered evasively
4. an indicator that orients you generally
Example : it is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved
5. the act of referring or consulting
Example : reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer
6. the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression 7. a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage 8. a remark that calls attention to something or someone 9. a publication or a passage from a publication that is referred to
Example : I carried an armful of references back to my desk.
10. to refer to
Example : I referenced my colleagues' work.
11. the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to
Example : I argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes.
Translation for "reference"
reference meaning in Spanish : referencia reference meaning in German : Referenz reference meaning in Japanese : 参照 reference meaning in Turkish : referans reference meaning in Chinese : 参考 reference meaning in Arabic : مرجع reference meaning in Polish : odniesienie reference meaning in Hindi : संदर्भ reference meaning in French : référence reference meaning in Russian : ссылка reference meaning in Tamil : குறிப்பு reference meaning in Telugu : సూచన