1. sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background 2. assistance in time of difficulty
Example : the contributions provided some relief for the victims
3. a pause for relaxation 4. the act of reducing something unpleasant
Example : The child asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain.
5. a change for the better 6. the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced
Example : When I heard the news, I was suddenly flooded with relief.
7. someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult) 8. the condition of being comfortable or relieved, especially after being relieved of distress
Example : I enjoyed my relief from responsibility while on vacation.
9. the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged
Example : We asked for troops for the relief of Atlanta.
10. aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped
Example : They have been on relief for many years.
11. redress awarded by a court
Example : Was the relief supposed to be protection from future harm or compensation for past injury?
Translation for "relief"
relief meaning in Spanish : alivio relief meaning in German : Linderung relief meaning in Japanese : 安心 relief meaning in Turkish : kabartma relief meaning in Chinese : 浮雕 relief meaning in Arabic : ارتياح relief meaning in Polish : ulga relief meaning in Hindi : राहत relief meaning in French : le soulagement relief meaning in Russian : рельеф relief meaning in Tamil : நிவாரண relief meaning in Telugu : ఉపశమనం